cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Promotion of [XPath]TraversableGenerators to main trunk
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:55:47 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Guido Casper wrote:
>
>> Stephan Michels wrote:
>>
>>> At least, we should agree on one name
>>>
>>> SourceHierarchyGenerator -> http://apache.org/cocoon/hierachy/1.0
>>> SourceCollectionGenerator -> http://apache.org/cocoon/collection/1.0
>>> SourceDirectoryGenerator -> http://apache.org/cocoon/directory/1.0
>>>
>>> or DirectoryGenerator.
>>

>> Probably I should shut up and sit down before adding yet another
>> opinion but
>> FWIW I prefer DirectoryGenerator. It's most user-friendly (immediately
>> understood by everyone) and compatible.
>

> I could easily live with it, but the problem is that someone might have
> extended DirectoryGenerator, and such extensions would not be compatible
> anymore if we just drop it in favor of the source based one. You don't
> want this, don't you? :-)

I suggested in the past creating a "name only" extension of this
generator to make it clearer to the casual observer that it can work
with simple directories.  Since the name DirectoryGenerator is used and
should be protected wouldn't "SourceDirectoryGenerator" do?
Alternatively, adding a deprecation note on DirectoryGenerator which
points to whatever extremely-accurate-but-unclear-to-outsiders name we
want might be all that is needed.

Geoff