cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Larson <timlarsonw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Woody dynamic widgets
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:54:07 GMT
I am using Woody to try to make a form and report design gui.
It seems that some type of dynamic form is required to do this
well.  If anybody has an alternate suggestion, I'm all ears.

With woody there is a form model which is like a class, and
there are form instances which are like objects.  To make the
widgets dynamic we could:

1) Show and hide always-present widgets to simulate dynamic
addition and removal of widgets.  This is pretty limiting and
wastes processing and network bandwidth.

2) Create a new form model and instance and copy the data to
it every time a widget (or group of widgets) is added or removed.
This wastes server memory and feels very hacky, but could be
implemented pretty quickly.

3) Allow the definitions for dynamic widgets to reside in the
form instance, possibly referencing a fragment of the form model.
This seems the cleanest, but also the most work.  It could
eventually be driven by some sort of schema, allowing the forms
to still be defined primarily declaratively.

What do you think? Should I get a seatbelt before I fall off my rocker?
--Tim Larson