cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Discussion of Cocoon TLP Guidelines
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:26:18 GMT
On 29.Jul.2003 -- 11:05 AM, Steven Noels wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've just checked in a verbatim copy of the Jakarta Guidelines (located
> at http://jakarta.apache.org/site/proposal.html) in the cocoon-site
> module, that could serve as a starter to base our own project guidelines
> upon. Before we became a TLP (top level project), we were supposed to
> follow the XML TLP guidelines (which are currently under debate, a
> decent RC can be found at
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-admin/charter.txt?rev=1.14&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup),

> but after reading both, I believe the Jakarta guidelines might be a good
> foundation to start working from. The guidelines are supposed to regulate
> the day-to-day operations of the Cocoon TLP, which of course includes any
> existing and possible new subprojects.
>
> So in an attempt to start the debate about the Cocoon TLP guidelines, I
> copy/paste/search/replaced through the Jakarta set of guidelines, and
> provide this as a starter for further discussions.
>
> Our DRAFT version is located at
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/guidelines.xml?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Thanks Steven,
it reads quite good.

Two points in addition to Carsten's: It states that "new features"
need to be voted before committing. I believe that this is either
unpractical (and sure not happening ATM) or/and not precise
enough. Perhaps "major new features" would be better, but then, what's
"major"? OK, it's only a guideline....

Second, I feel tieing it so close to cvs and in particular wincvs is a
little bit too strict. I'm quite looking forward to switch to
subversion at some point :-)

> Some topics which, IMHO, need further debate are:
>
>  - PMC composition and rules for admitting new PMC members (currently,
> any committer can self.propose() to become a member of the PMC, and any
> committer is allowed on the PMC list - but we need to discuss, maybe
> change and at the very least formalize this)

Honestly, I believe that self.propose() is a very good way of doing
it. We should change this only when we encounter problems with this
model. Therefore I suggest to change the paragraphs accordingly.

>  - rules and guidelines for incubating projects, w.r.t. PMC
> participation, cohabitation with Incubator guidelines
>  - basically do a sanity check of the lenghty Jakarta original and see
> what might be eradicated from it (less is more)

>  - check voting guidelines

Look fine.

	Chris.
--