cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [GT2003] Call For Music Proposals
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 16:30:51 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> writes:

> CFMP - don't you *love* new acronyms?
>
> I have a theory that music playing requires a similar kind of brain
> than computer programming - lots of chaos mixed with some amount of
> math are required for both ;-)

Hmm, I think that's been pretty well shown many years ago already...  I
remember an IBM user group conference probably 20 years ago where an IBM
manager made a statement something to the effect that a personnel survey
of their programmers had shown a disproportionate number of people who
where:

- musicians;
- left handed;
- blue eyed.

compared to population norms.  Subsequent polling of audiences at many
other conferences continued to show this, with the number of musicians
always being high.  I've seen literature that proposed that the ability
to intuitively navigate mathematical relationships is common to both
activities.

<snip/>