cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: MIDI block - copyright issue
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:53:58 GMT
Le Mercredi, 6 aoû 2003, à 14:03 Europe/Zurich, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit
:

> ...I'm not very comfortable with this either. I think one option would
> be to use P.A.Loeb's work as-is, i.e. add a jar with his classes.
> Another option - and even better - is to ask P.A.Loeb to transfer
> copyright for this particular derivative work to ASF so we can remove
> (c) notice. We can still have an acknowledgement that code based on
> his work as in shown in the example above.

Sounds good - Mark, could you take care of asking P.A.Loeb about this?

Basically we'd like him to allow you to donate your MIDIGenerator code
to the ASF, without having to mention him as the copyright holder.

If he agrees, I think a notice like this one should be sufficient and
would not cause any legal problems with the ASF:

	The MIDI file parsing parts of this class are based on code from the
XMidi project, written
	by  Peter Arthur Loeb (http://www.palserv.com/XMidi/) and used with
permission.
	The warranty disclaimer of the MIT license
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html)
	applies to Peter Arthur Loeb's code.

The alternative, as Vadim mentions, would be to include P.A.Loeb's code
as a jar with the appropriate license, but this would require you to
refactor your MIDIGenerator.

-Bertrand