cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Improving Sitemap and Flowscript
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:13:57 GMT

On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 15:41 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino
wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 20:15 Europe/Rome, Gianugo Rabellino
>> wrote:
>>> Looks like I missed some serious fun during these vacations... time
>>> to catch up!

>>> Love the idea. Even because it was me suggesting something like that
>>> a couple of years ago and being blamed of FS... ;-)
>> Really? any pointer? (I'm not being sarcastic, but curious... if I
>> judged FS something that I later ended up proposing, there is
>> something wrong in my FS meter ;-)
>
> Sorry, no pointers, just witnesses if they remind the live discussion
> who took place one day in Bibop.:-) We were still using the compiled
> sitemap and I was suggesting how components could have been aggregated
> (G-T* / T* /T*-S) as "macros" to be unrolled by XSLT. You came up with
> FS bells and problems with parameter resolving, so the discussion was
> kinda over.

ahhhhh, yeah, rings a bell... I remember that I thought about
fragmented resources and it was that that triggered my FS alarm. I
always knew that views were virtual serializers, but the specific
semantics was introduced to make it easier to understand (views are
heard enough to understand already).

But anyway, no excuse, I was probably wrong at that time not to
consider this further. Or, maybe not: we needed more time to see if it
really made sense to add that complexity.

> I will be more stubborn next time. ;-)

Please do :-)

>>> 2. Are you sure that adapting the request is enough?
>> I couldn't come up with anything that required more than that.
>>> I'd say that the different use cases you're pointing out require a
>>> bit more then just the request object: I'd say that the whole
>>> environment might need a particular treatment in most cases.
>> Why so, can you elaborate? maybe with a specific example? scenarios
>> help the design.
>
> You might need to have access to the response too. In WebDAV world, as
> an example, you need to set a whole bunch of headers (Allow:, DAV:,
> MS-Author-Via - yuck - and more), and a DASL component needs to
> specify the search vocabularies supported. True, you can do it by
> hand, but it would be much better if such manipulation could be done
> by a "request-factory".

Damn, great point.

So, back one step: could "adapt-environment" help? or is "environment"
not good enough for people to understand?

What do others think?

> --
Stefano.