cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Roger I Martin PhD" <hypernex...@hypernexinc.com>
Subject Re: "Production" build for Cocoon?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:05:43 GMT
standalone-demo build target is one of the worst ways to work with Cocoon;
yet alone achieve what Chris is asking.  Cocoon is a super charged super
powerful servlet that can be used to achieve some pretty amazing results.

I've read the INSTALL.txt and it is a excellent example of unprofessional
writing.  In fact it is simply obnoxious.

Chris,

There is no simple way to achieve what you want but the start is to think of
the definition and requirements of the webapp concept and pull out of the
Cocoon development complex, the pieces needed as it is used as a servlet
inside your webapp (instead of the other way around) and any xsl you depend
on.  You need the cocoon jars in the \build\webapp\WEB-INF\lib directory and
you need to come up with your own usually simple ant build(Most webapps can
be developed in place without any need for an ant script but simply back up
frequently).  You'll need to develop a sitemap that isn't a sub sitemap of
the cocoon development complex, complete a webapp\WEB-INF filled with what
you need to configure cocoon and any other servlet or webapp component you
may employ.  Any custom code that you add to Cocoon needs compiled of course
and can be in another jar that you put on the classpath in front of the
cocoon.jar.  You can save hours of your time as soon as you are free from
the cocoon ant build script.  You can make a change, test and change again
much more rapidly then.

For Cocoon developers: you need to start thinking of Cocoon as a servlet
intended to be used "inside" of your customer's webapp.  If I opened an M$
product out of the box and the way to "INSTALL" it was described as in
INSTALL.txt with the results far from "That's it!" I would not hesitate to
return it.

Roger