cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: HttpSessionBindingEvent
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2003 08:37:23 GMT

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 09:51 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Sorry, this is part of the Servlet spec I have had little use for in
>> the past.
>>
>> I don't think HttpSessionBindingListener/HttpSessionBindingEvents are
>> available in Cocoon, but I think they are supposed to be the way to
>> solve a problem I have.
>

> Yes, they _are_ available, as long as your application runs as a
> servlet (i.e. HttpEnvironment), since in that case the Cocoon Session
> (interface o.a.c.environment.Session) is simply a wrapper around a
> servlet HttpSession.

Ah Ha!!

Many thanks for the clarification!!

So if I understand correctly, the way to do this is to keep a
UserManager (a Map of Users, implements HttpSessionBindingListener) in
the Context, while also keeping a copy in each Session. When the
UserManager is unbound, it can remove the User. Or something like that
anyway.

>> I am planning a Job Manager, shared by a FlowScript in the Context
>> (?), between a group of people who will share work on a batch of jobs
>> between them, and need to lock jobs from each other while they are
>> working on them.
>

> Same for Context : this is a wrapper around the ServletContext.
>
>> I need to have Jobs unlocked if a user with their lock has their
>> Session time out.
>>
>> Sounds familiar?
>> Any suggestions?
>> Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
>

> [just curious : is "barking" the dog's sound in this context ?]

Indeed! It is actually the verb, ie. when a dog goes "Woof! Woof!" it
is barking .... they also growl, yelp, whine and howl ;)
If you say a Human is barking, you are saying (in slang) that they are
Mad ....
The noun, bark is the (crinkly brown etc.) covering on a tree ....
There is also is a (not so lovely) town in Essex called Barking (my
apologies to any residents :)

PS, my favourite onomatopoeia in French is "ronronner" :)

> Hope this helps,

It does, many thanks

regards Jeremy