cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Guido Casper" <gcas...@s-und-n.de>
Subject Re: SourcepropWritingTransformer
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:36:12 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Definitely. Problem is understanding use cases. Apart from the
> upcoming Xindice (*not* XML:DB as of now), I can't think of any
other
> Source that allows write access to properties, so we might just be
> trying to generalize something that is really webdav-specific. On
the

Well, I already thought of something like an inspectable file source
where (switching to wild mode) the inspectable part might be something
like an aspect. That way you can "inspect-enable" (can you say
webdav-enable? :-) Ok, then again you have to deal with XMLized
properties) any modifiable source, like CVSSource. The user defines
where he wants the meta data to go. This could be as simple as
seperate files with a .meta extension or a SQL DB or whatever.

> contrary, though, almost every source comes with a set of "live
> properties" and it would be nice to be able to describe them (think
> of size, content-type, lastmodified). But this is a read-only
> scenario.
>
> This said, I'd +1 a modification of SourceProperty so that value is
> string (which could well be serialized XML). A better solution might
> be turning SourceProperty into an interface, so that a specialized
> WebDAVSourceProperty might use the added value of XML,
(de)serializing
> it when needed. I'd suggest to wait for Sylvain to show up: I recall
> him having some thoughts on it.

Yes, if I remember correctly (although my memory served me bad lately
:-) he was in favour of eliminating the indirection  through the
SourceProperties class alltogether.

However I think the flexibility provided through SourceProperty could
be of value.

Guido