cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Webdavapps with Cocoon
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:19:12 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote, On 29/07/2003 9.35:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> Basically we usually have (1):
>
> <snip what="nice ascii art"/

Yeah, Jave truly rocks. I found it googling some days back, and since
then I got addicted. Really awesome.

> Can you explain what "context" is ?

Oops, sorry, sometimes I think in terms of abstractions and use
"personal" names. My wife is always picking on me as when I am excited I
do not pick words correctly and the sentnces look all mixedup! ;-)

Well, to summarize, Cocoon has a double parallel system: the object part
and the XML pipeline part. With context I intended the object part.

Usually I call the first "environment" and the other the the "pipelines"...

Hope it's a bit clearer now.

>> So in reality, there should be a kind of mechanism *before* Generation
>> that is able to present the sitemap with payloads as urls and Requests
>> in the content as Request data.
>
> This mechanism must occur not only before generation, but before *any*
> processing in the sitemap, since flow, matchers, action, etc will need
> the payloads.

I think so.

> It's basically RequestFactories coming back on the table.
> But this time, this must be more than a simple class to handle file
> uploads.

Yes, IMHO we need another concept, and present it in the sitemap.

Before, I had called it "locators", as a Generator should generate XML,
not really care where the data comes from.

Then we had source protocols, that seemed to have resolved all
pre-generation problems, as it basically does what a "locator" should do.

But hey, guess what, we came up with "input modules", that act similarly
to sources in the "context/objectspace/environment" part.

And now we are talking of making a unified view of these?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -