cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Webdavapps with Cocoon
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:42:38 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote, On 29/07/2003 2.13:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>> On Monday, Jul 28, 2003, at 14:23 Europe/Rome, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> In other words, streamed requests aren't so much different from
>>> regular requests : it's just that incoming data is more complex and
>>> that decoding is not handled transparently by the servlet engine.
>>> Once decoded, the processing model can be the same as usual.
>>
>> Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm, you are triggering second order thinking....
>> hmmmm... I need a whiteboard... I'll be back soon.
>
> Are you thinking in terms of "MultipartParser, SOAPParser, ..."?

Do you remember Vadim about our discussion on adding a getStream to the
Request, and how that brought also to think about this?

Basically we usually have (1):

  +------------+               .----------.
  |            |               |          |
  |  Request   |.............. | Context  |
  |            |               |          |
  +------------+               `----------'
  |            |
  |            |
  |            |          )----------------------(
  |  Payload   |          |                      |
  |            |......... |   Sitemap            |
  |            |          |                      |
  |            |          |                      |
  |            |          )----------------------(
  |            |
  +------------+

When sending xml in the POST data, as with XForms (IIUC), we have (2):

  +------------+               .----------.
  |            |               |          |
  |  Request   |.............. | Context  |
  |            |               |          |
  |            |               `----------'
  | )--------( |
  | |        | |
  | |Payload |.......,
  | |        | |     |
  | |        | |     |
  | )--------( |     |    )----------------------(
  +------------+     |    |                      |
  |  Payload   |......... |   Sitemap            |
  |            |          |                      |
  +------------+          |                      |
                          )----------------------(

And with webservices, we may have (3):

  +------------+               .----------.
  |            |               |          |
  |  Request   |.............. | Context  |
  |            |     |         |          |
  +------------+     |         `----------'
  | )--------( |     |
  | |        | |     |
  | |Request |.......,
  | |        | |
  | |        | |
  | )--------( |          )----------------------(
  |            |          |                      |
  |  Payload   |......... |   Sitemap            |
  |            |          |                      |
  +------------+          |                      |
                          )----------------------(

With our discussion we came to the conclusion that case (2) was now not
possible with the current mechanism, and it came also out that the more
general case was:

  +------------+               .----------.
  |            |               |          |
  |  Request   |.............. | Context  |
  |            |               |          |
  |            |               `----------'
  | )--------( |
  | |Payload1| |
  | |Payload2|.......,
  | |   ...  | |     |
  | |Payloadn| |     |
  | )--------( |     |    )----------------------(
  +------------+     |    |                      |
  |  Payload   |......... |   Sitemap            |

So in reality, there should be a kind of mechanism *before* Generation
that is able to present the sitemap with payloads as urls and Requests
in the content as Request data.

This is basically what I'd like to see. :-)

[Made with Jave: http://www.jave.de/]

             - verba volant, scripta manent -