cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <>
Subject Re: [Vote] Controller/Sitemap integration
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:24:41 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Geoff Howard wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:
> >>      - rename "WebContinuation" to "FlowState", and accordingly
> >>        "WebContinuationManager" to "FlowStateManager".
> >
> > Yes, the Continuation represents a state, but to make a clear
> > difference as a new concept, I think 'Continuation' is accurate.
> > But 'Web..'?!
> >
> > - rename "WebContinuation" to "Continuation", and accordingly
> >          "WebContinuationManager" to "ContinuationManager".
> I guess I'm a little confused at the general agreement on this naming
> using "continuation".  I thought I was hearing in Sylvain's original RT
> that continuations may not be the only implementation.  I don't have a
> problem with any of the new names suggested which is why I'm not really
> adding anything to the discussion at this point, but I don't want to
> have the discussion miss this point.
> Could someone who resonates with the vision for these other potential
> (non javascript-with-continuations) implementations of flow comment on
> this quickly?  If it satisfies you, I have no personal objection.

A little example:

function myFunc()
 x = "bla";

 if (answer = sucess)

   y = "blub";

   y = "yagh";

Here you have four different states:

state 0:
  x = "bla";

state 1:
  y = "blub";

state 2:
  y = "yagh";

state 3:

And several transitions:

state 0 -> state 1 if answer = sucess
state 0 -> state 2 otherwise
state 1 -> state 3
state 2 -> state 3

So, here we have a DFA.

The 'continuation' means to freeze the current state of the execution.
The benefit of the continuations are that you have a history
of the states, which you had traversed. And like a backtracking
algorithm, you can go back to a previous state and follow another

So, the answer is, it is sufficient to have the 'history of states'
to take a new name like 'continuation' instead of simple 'state'?
I think yes.

View raw message