cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Less is More, Finite State Machines and Balkanization
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:30:58 GMT

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote, On 14/07/2003 12.32:
> > All JavaScript Code can be transform into Assembler, or Basic. That's
> > not the point. A programming language should make the implementation
> > of a solution for a given problem as easy as possible.
>
> We have already discussed what language to use in the past, and
> Javascript won. That was months ago, and I don't remember that in the
> meantime there have been changes to the underlying assumptions.

This is okay, I belong to the minority.

> Personally, as I said, I welcome the creation of support for other
> languages for the FOM, but we should not do it here in cocoon, at least
> not now.

Agreed, as long as other implementations are possible, and the names
not implies that javascript is the only solution.
I also write my own JXTemplateTransformer outside of Cocoon, which
fulfill my needs better.

> But we are talking about similar procedutral languages, here, not about
> using a different paradigm for the flow; FSMs are a a totally different
> way of approaching the problem IMHO.

Come on, a FSM is not _complete_ different. You can also combine the
continuation concept with a FSM.

> What I would like to see? BSF support for continuations, and the use of
> this BSF from Cocoon. If someone has some time to spare...

Yet another scripting language ;-)

Stephan.