cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: IncludeCacheManager
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:45:16 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote

> >> It seems to me that the business of the cinclude transformer should be
> >> to support cacheability of included pipelines but not actually
> >> interact with the cache - that seems to be the business of the
> >> pipeline.  Am I way off?
> >
> > IncludeCacheManager puzzles me too. May be we are off together? :)
>
> Maybe it's the heat?

It really must be the heat that I didn't saw this thread earlier! I only
have this mail and not the original mail, so if there is more interest
let me know.

> So, any idea who knows about this?
To get the person in charge, look at the author tags...ok, you don't have
to, I'm the one writing the IncludeCacheManager...and it's a really cool
component!

Now, the caching of the IncludeCacheManager is different from the usual
cocoon caching. The IncludeCacheManager caches the response of an
included (via cinclude) resource for a defined time. So it always
caches the whole response regardless if e.g. a pipeline is used for
the included content or an http request. In addition the content
is valid for the defined period of time, regardless what the source
might say by looking at last modified etc.
So, the IncludeCacheManager has in fact nothing to do with the Cocoon
Pipeline Cache, but has an own approach for the included content.

Now, actually you can fine-tune your application with this. E.g. you
can use the cinclude transformer to include dynamic data with the
usual cinclude tag and also at the same time cached content using
the cached-cinclude tag.
A customer of us uses this approach in production and is really impressed
by the performance boost this component gave them (while maintaining
compatibility and flexibility at the same time).

HTH
Carsten