cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <>
Subject RE: protected vs private instance members (in Woody)
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:33:49 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> So objects should use between themselves only method calls or messages.
> In essence, objects expose a service.

> >>So, I think implementations can change incompatible over time and
> >>if someone relies on the implementation he has to change its
> >>implementation as well. The contracts (like the above mentioned fom)
> >>are defined by interfaces.
> No, they are defined by the *public* *signatures*. That means that they
> are defined by all public methods. As I showed you above, if you have a
> public method, the class can and should encapsulate all behaviour.
> Regardless to the interface.
Yes, agreed, usually for me (and for most code in Cocoon/Avalon) the
public signatures of an implementation is the set of methods defined
in the interface. So, actually we are talking the same language here,
I think.

The whole thing is about whether protected or private should be used,
and I say: it doesn't matter.

View raw message