cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Comparing Woody & XMLForm : towards a unified form handling (long)
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:11:39 GMT
I have never had the chance (yet) to try any of the form-handing
mechanisms, but I'm glad that people start talking about convergence.
Other than this, I don't have much to say.

On Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003, at 11:23 America/Guayaquil, Bruno Dumon wrote:

>> Although there is a great probability that datatypes can
>> be reused for different fields and even different forms, I'm not sure
>> using the same fields within different templates really make sense.
>> For
>> example, HTML and WML browsers have so much different screen sizes and
>> interaction constraints that a single form definition can hardly be
>> used
>> for both.
>
> Agreed. It is however not so much about reuse but rather separation of
> skills: the form template will mostly be edited by a HTML designer.

Question: have you thought about using garbage as the template file?

[skip]

>> The ongoing work on form binding considers binding as a process
>> surrounding form population and validation : the application->form
>> binding fills an existing form, and the form->application binding
>> transfers form data to the application model once the form is
>> correctly
>> validated.
>
> And in a flowscript, it's as simple as this (taken from
> binding_example.js):
>
>     var document = loadDocument(documentURI);
>     var binding = loadBinding(bindingURI);
>     var model = form.getModel();
>
>     binding.loadFormFromModel(form.form, document);
>
>     form.show("form2-display-pipeline");
>
>     binding.saveFormToModel(form.form, document);
>     saveDocument(document, makeTargetURI(documentURI));
>     cocoon.sendPage("form2-success-pipeline");
>     form.finish();

I would love to see this commented a little more so that I can
understand more.

--
Stefano.