cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Webdavapps with Cocoon
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:41:26 GMT

On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 11:44 Europe/Rome, bugzilla@apache.org
wrote:

> Inspired by an email of Michael Homeijer
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103483890724049&w=2
> I created a first version of a DAVmap, a sitemap serving as a WebDAV
> server.
>
> If you extract the zip file to <cocoon-context>/samples/webdav, you
> can mount
> http://localhost:8888/samples/webdav/davmap/repo
> as a webfolder.
>
> I tested it with Windows Explorer on win2k, with XML Spy, an
> application build
> on the Slide WebDAV client library and the WebDAVSource (yes, that
> means you
> can use Cocoon as its own WebDAV repository :-)
>
> As this again is based on Cocoon's source resolving you could expose
> your CVS
> repository via Sylvain's CVSSource or a Xindice Database (given someone
> implements TraversableSource and maybe ModifiableSource in
> XMLDBSource).
> You could even integrate some data of a SQL table or just proxy
> another WebDAV
> server (to leverage its versioning or to plugin some workflow logic).

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, I hate it when people spoil my yet-to-be-released
RT :-(

I was holding an RT on "what is missing to the sitemap to *really* kick
ass" waiting for 2.1 to be released final and one of the key points was
to make it easier to write "webdavapps" in short "webapps" with DAV
support.

Many people think of WebDAV as a protocol. I prefer to think of it as
HTTP++. And web applications are made on top of HTTP, webdav
applications should be made on top of HTTP++. It's as simple as that.

Now, Guido is right on the money here: how would you like to tell your
boss that he/she can edit date into the relational database directly
from excel? (well, maybe you don't want him/her to do that because
he/she might screw up, but that's another issue)

webdav has been thought as a protocol for saving and retrieving files,
but this is, again, another file-system injected syndrome of mod_dav.
It does *NOT* have to be the case. mod_dav and subversion are just two
of the potential webdav applications.

I would love to see cocoon becoming a framework that can glue together
everything on the web, from stateless publishing from stateful webdav
applications and yeah, why not, once you can do webdav applications you
can do SOAP applications or XML-RPC applications, they are, more or
less, all XMLoverHTTP stuff.

Now, is the sitemap ready for this?

No, it needs a new concept. Something I've been calling "extractor": a
component that is able to extract information from a pipeline and make
it available to the sitemap for further selection of components.

why? because both WebDAV and SOAP have the terrible attitude of storing
pipeline-routing information *inside* the pipeline.

It has been proposed in the past to allow selectors to have access to
the pipeline, but I like the idea of "extractors" more.

Well, this is a quick and dirty RT that should have been discussed
later, but hey, it's Guido's fault and I don't want to see quick and
dirty hacks to the sitemap when more design is necessary ;-)

--
Stefano.