cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject RE: [Vote] Controller/Sitemap integration
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:42:08 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> The following might seem like nagging but I do share Sylvain's
> eagerness to get names really right, so I'm wide open for other
> alternatives and views...

I don't have a vote either :-) but I agree - names are a very important detail, so I'll stick
my nose in...

> >>  [C] A state of the controller is called by:
> >>
> >>	<map:call state="">
> >>        <map:parameter name="x" value="y"/>
> >>     </map:call>
> >

> > We don't call states in this sense. We continue
> > a continuation ;-)
>
> actually I think we continue with the 'use-case'
>
> or we continue the 'interaction'
>
> > I guess <map:continue continuation="{1}"/> is bad.
> >
> > <map:continue src="{1}"/>
> > or
> > <map:continue id="{1}"/>
> >

> Still <map:continue state-id=".." /> might make sense as well?

What about <map:continue from="..."/>

I agree with your analysis completely ... personally I find map:continue with attribute of
id or source or state sounds jarring - it sounds like you would be continuing a state, or
continuing an id, which is wrong, as you say. It doesn't read smoothly in the sense of a regular
English sentence, whereas "continue from ..." reads very naturally.

The point is that you continue a FLOW (a use-case as you say), and that you continue the flow
FROM a particular point which must be identified by this attribute. "Continue" is the active
(verb form) word which identifies the activity (noun form would be continuation). "From" is
a word that identifies the role that the rhino-continuation or FSM-state plays in this activity,
without having to give it some overly-specific name (state, continuation, location, point,
etc)

My 2c

Con