cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject OJB and Cocoon
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:14:38 GMT
Hi:

I already do contact with the Apache OJB community. My idea is to use OJB
instead of Hibernate.

Here is the last mail from the communication with the project leader of
OJB community.

Comments are welcome. :)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

-------- Mensaje Original --------
Asunto: Re: How to know when the CVS changes?
De: Thomas Mahler
Fecha: Sab, 19 de Julio de 2003, 5:30
Para: Antonio Gallardo
Hi again Antonio,

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi Thomas:
>
> Thanks. The tutorial note was confusing to me. I understanded that JDO
> is not done yet or not full functional as a warning: "maybe some parts
> still will not work".  But now I understand I can work with OJB using
> JDO.

Yes, it's all working!

> As I noted before, I am here (in OJB project), trying to integrate OJB
> in the "model" side of a Movel-View-Controller approach. The idea is
> to show how can use OJB into Cocoon. I think since the both projects
> are in the same Apache umbrella, Cocoon people will support it if this
> is feasible.

Yes, that's a great idea.
There are several similar aproaches in different apache projects right
now: - The Jetspeed 2.0 implementation will be completely rewritten to
use  OJB as the model layer.
- The Jakarta Turbine project provides support for OJB as it's default
model layer. The former persistence layer used in Turbine, Torque, has
several limitations that are solved by OJB. Now Torque is mainly used as
 a code generation engine to generate code and database tables for
persistent classes in OJB.
- OJB works very well as a model layer in Struts. There are now several
books on STruts available, that recommend OJB as the persistence layer
of choice.

> Currently some Cocoon user are using Hibernate, and everybody is
> recommending it. But maybe I am the the "black sheep" of Cocoon
> Community that is trying the other way and use OJB. I believe in JDO
> and since OJB support JDO. I am trying to work with both. By the way
> since Hibernate is LGPL, the Cocoon Commmunity has concerns about
> that.

Sure, LGPL is not an option for us. Hibernate is OK. but OJB can do
everything that Hibernate can do and it can do much more! I think the
compliance to standard persistence API's like JDO, ODMG and S.O.D.A are
very important. Hibernate only provides proprietary API (They started an
 ODMG implementation, but it's far from complete and not a viable
solution).

> I think connection OJB-Cocoon will be a win-win relation for both
> projects.

I absolutely agree with you! It's good for us if a world-class framework
 like Cocoon uses our code. And Coccon will also benefit, as
collaboration with another Apache team will be much smoother than with
the Hibernate project. And you won't face any LGPL license issues.

> I will comment you about how well or how bad (I hope never it will be)
> is the sample.

don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions, I'm happy to help
you getting started.

> I hope when the integration will work fine and cocoon will be
> presented also as a web application framework and there will be OJB,
> then OJB community will have a boost! :) I hope I would happen. :)

Yes, that would really be good news for Apache as a whole.