cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The perfect repository might be just under your eyes
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:52:39 GMT

On Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003, at 15:40 America/Guayaquil, Tony Collen wrote:

> More RTing:
>
> Imagine having an XSL processor in the kernel:
>
> You could "execute" .xsl files, bypassing having to run a processor
> manually.
>
> prompt$ page2html.xsl < input.xml > output.html
>
> Borrowing the pipeline concept from Cocoon:
>
> prompt$ cat input.xml | page2foo.xsl | foo2bar.xsl | bar2html.xsl >
> output.html
>
> One could even invent files which are actually transformation
> pipelines -- ones which you might not be able to directly edit (or
> maybe be able to edit a transformation in the middle):
>
> prompt$ make-virtual-file-pipeline virtual.xml --generator=input.xml
> --tranformers=page2foo.xsl;foo2html.xsl --serialize=text/xml
>
> Now you can just go
>
> prompt$ cat virtual.xml
>
> And get the output of the pipeline defined above, which you can then
> link to other pipelines, etc.
>
> It's no wonder that this all fits in very well with what Cocoon does,
> since Cocoon is patterned after this concept.  I'm sure if I stew on
> this concept enough I'll come up with more ideas and uses.

It might be a good mental exercise, but before you do, please remember
that UNIX has no notion of structured pipelines as Cocoon does. That
is, you will always need a serialization/parsing stage between
different filters, which is instrinsically poor.

Also, consider that there is no type safety since all components are
the same (unlike in cocoon where you can't have a transformer after a
serializer).

So, keep in mind the differences.

--
Stefano.