cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flow's processPipelineTo() and FileSource
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:49:08 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>> I'm having a hell of a time using flow with processPipelineTo() and
>> OutputStreams coming out from FileSource(s).
>>
>> The problem is that FileSource#getOutputStream() creates a temporary
>> file (... to be discussed later ...) and such file gets renamed to the
>> original one only upon OutputStream.close(). Now, AbstractInterpreter,
>> line 201, actually calls flush() but *never* close. As a result,
>> everything is kinda ... well... screwed up.
>>
>> Patch is trivial, but I'm wondering if adding out.close() in
>> AbstractInterpreter.java might break something: any flow experts around?
>
> I don't see why there should be some consequences on the flow itself...
> Just replace flush() by close() !

Just did it, but I didn't replace flush(), just added close()
afterwards: it's better to be sure that there are no leftovers...

>> Now for the FileSource: I do understand *some* of the reasoning behind
>> using a temporary file, but I have to disagree on the implementation:
>> naming it [filename].tmp is a bit of a bet, since someone might
>> legitimately have such a filename around. While I understand that
>> there might be memory issues with large files, I guess that either:
>>
>> 1. keeping a ByteArrayOutputStream;
>> 2. forget about it and just write the file;
>> 3. use a more "clever" name that doesn't risk conflicts this much
>

> I would avoid 2. The reason why I used a temporary file is because of
> the streamed nature of Cocoon pipelines. If an error occurs within the
> processing, the original content is not partially overwritten. My
> preference would go to 3.

I see and understand. Yet temporary files, besides being somehow
inconvenient, can be a major security hole in general. I'd rather go for
1, then, accumulating bytes as they come on a ByteArrayOutputStream and
writing them upon close() (and maybe flush() too?). True, this is in
turn a possible security hole since someone might DOS the machine by
processing gigabyte-sized files, but all in all I tend to think that
it's a better solution... and yes, doing transaction on a filesystem is
a PITA. :-)

Ciao,

>> are all better options.
>>
>> Is that OK to you if I work on it? I don't know if I have access to
>> the Excalibur CVS though...
>
> As a Cocoon committer, you should.

I understand that I am authorized in line of principle, just don't know
if I need to be explicitely enabled. Anyway, I'll check it out. :-)

Thanks for everything,

--
Gianugo Rabellino