cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Revisiting Woody's form definition
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:11:31 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Marc Portier wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>> I see two solutions for this :
>>> - the messy one (IMO) : add some non-visual fields in the form to
>>> hold the necessary data,
>>> - add a get/setApplicationData() on FormContext so that widgets can
>>> use it during form.process() if the form has an associated binding.
>>

>> surely I prefer the second.
>>
>> and guess what my mantra-remark is: "it isn't really tied to binding" :-)
>>
>> what I mean is that business-specific-validation that requires the
>> ApplicationData present could be driven completely from the flow
>> (without it making use of the declarative data-mapping offered by the
>> current binding)
>>
>> in fact we might consider naming this the ValidationContextBean rather
>> then ApplicationData?
>

> Agree. There's a great probability that ValidationData (why should it be
> a bean?) will often be the same as ApplicationData, but it formally
> doesn't need to. Moreover, there are certainly many uses cases where
> ValidationData is required but the form has no binding.

yep,
+1 on dropping -Bean suffix (everything in Java is a bean if you
want it to. I was thinking about validation rules based on jxpath
expressions of course ;-))

-0 on leaving -Context in favor of -Data:

I agree that most of the time it will be a quite passive object
providing information elements where the custom validation-rules
can hook into...
However I wouldn't mind if this ValidationContext can be called
by these custom validation-rules to do some active stuff. This
might very well make the design of these custom thingys a bit easier

So I'ld like the name to be more neutral regarding its
passive/active position, this makes -Context a better candidate
then -Data IMHO, but I'm open to suggestions...

> <snip/>
>
>>> Actually, if application data is added to FormContext, it can be
>>> propagated in the ValidationRule's ExpressionContext (e.g. as an
>>> "_applicationData_" variable). There will be then no difference
>>> between a form-only-validation and a business-domain-validation. We
>>> just have ValidationRules that use the application data variable and
>>> others that don't.
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>>

>> I think it makes perfect sense, and even more important it shows we're
>> on the same track here (also enthousiasm-wise :-))
>

> ;-)
>
>> -marc= (looking forward to your conclusions / proposal - wiki page)
>

> That's today's todo, but these important and stimulating discussions eat
> up all most of my time. But we're near to the convergence point !

yep, we're getting there:

it is reflected by the ratio of the 'yep' word over the others
(thank god the 'yep' word is payed accordingly ;-) )

regards,
-marc=