cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Revisiting Woody's form definition
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:16:12 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

<snip/>

>> I see two solutions for this :
>> - the messy one (IMO) : add some non-visual fields in the form to
>> hold the necessary data,
>> - add a get/setApplicationData() on FormContext so that widgets can
>> use it during form.process() if the form has an associated binding.
>

> surely I prefer the second.
>
> and guess what my mantra-remark is: "it isn't really tied to binding" :-)
>
> what I mean is that business-specific-validation that requires the
> ApplicationData present could be driven completely from the flow
> (without it making use of the declarative data-mapping offered by the
> current binding)
>
> in fact we might consider naming this the ValidationContextBean rather
> then ApplicationData?

Agree. There's a great probability that ValidationData (why should it be
a bean?) will often be the same as ApplicationData, but it formally
doesn't need to. Moreover, there are certainly many uses cases where
ValidationData is required but the form has no binding.

<snip/>

>> Actually, if application data is added to FormContext, it can be
>> propagated in the ValidationRule's ExpressionContext (e.g. as an
>> "_applicationData_" variable). There will be then no difference
>> between a form-only-validation and a business-domain-validation. We
>> just have ValidationRules that use the application data variable and
>> others that don't.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>

> I think it makes perfect sense, and even more important it shows we're
> on the same track here (also enthousiasm-wise :-))

;-)

> -marc= (looking forward to your conclusions / proposal - wiki page)

That's today's todo, but these important and stimulating discussions eat
up all most of my time. But we're near to the convergence point !

Sylvain