cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject AggregateField and SoC (was Re: [RT] Revisiting Woody's form definition)
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:07:34 GMT
Andreas Hochsteger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> A short question comes to my mind, while reading your RT:
> Is it possible to use data types which are composed of several HTML
> input fields?
> We are currently using three input fields for dates (day, month, year)
> at our current form solution.
>
> Thanks for clearification!

Marc explained how this can technically occur using AggregatedField.

Now from a more semantical point of view, AggregateField is something
I'm not very comfortable with. Let's consider its two use cases :

1/ Phone number example
In this example, the displayed form shows only one input box, and its
value is split into several non-visual subfields used by the application
(country code, area code, number). Do these non-visual subfields really
belong to the form definition if it never displays them ? Doesn't this
split belong to the binding more than to the form definition ?

2/ Date split in several inputs
The day/month/year inputs are just a particular visual implementation of
a date widget (in the GUI meaning of "widget"). What if we finally
decide to use a calendar popup instead of 3 inputs ? Do we have to
change all form definitions ?

Maybe that's just nitpicking, but I find this somewhat breaks Woody's
clean SoC.

Sylvain