cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hochsteger <e9625...@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject Re: Preparing for 2.2
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:34:27 GMT
Hi!

What's the intention behind creating different CVS repositories for
different major releases?
Perhaps I'm missing something, but aren't branches and release tags the
mechanism to manage this things in CVS?

I'm asking because changing the repository has several consequences.
Here are some examples which come to my mind:
* CVS Documentation
* Development tools outside of the Cocoon CVS
* Migration/Integration to/with other version control systems (e.g.
Subversion)
* Statistical and historical analysis is much more difficult
* Cocoon developers, which read the ML less often easily run into problems

I understand, that this is easier, if some heavy structural changes are
done but is it necessary to do this for every major release?

Another question:
Why is everybody here talking from major release when just the second
version number (the y in x.y.z) changes?