cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Woody and round trip of parameters.
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:12:37 GMT

Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Marc Portier dijo:
>
>>I can't see a need for a field that should be 'calculated
>>automatically' AND be editable at the same time.
>>(I tried though)
>
> It sometimes happens, for example here in my country, in a restaurant
> invoice is a non written rule to pay 10% of the subtotal to people that
> serviced you. But if you dont want to pay this you can change the amount
> or not pay it at all. Then you need to create another invoice with the
> change.
>
> Also diplomatic people does not pay taxes. If you have an automatic
> formula to calculate the X % tax, when this people show you their ID, you
> need to put the tax amount to 0.
>
> I think is are two examples when a formula can be change by the user.

I might be missing something, but if you try to model this in
web-forms you will end up with something different then a field
that must be updatable AND automatically calculated (upon each
round-trip)

in both cases you mention I think you will have
- an editable field (1/ gratuity: a numeric field, percentage
format initially set at 10% and 2/ isDiplomat: a
boolean-field/checkbox initially set OFF)

next to but separate from
- a calculated field that shows the total.

making sense?

-marc=