cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Revisiting Woody's form definition
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:51:19 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>

>>> I think you missed the real meaning of my post : since validators are
>>> pluggable, you can write you own and do whatever you want in it !
>>>
>>> Cocoon should provide the most useful and generic implementations,
>>> but it does not lock with the provides implementations.
>>>

>> Yupp! Are these validators etc. real avalon components?
>>

> Validators currently exist only for datatypes, and not yet for bindings
> (this is on my todo list).

yep, some nuance though:

there should be only one validation cycle!
what I mean is:

- we probably do want to be able to express validation-rules by
using some of the syntax we currently find in the binding file,
that is based on the business-object models we want to manipulate

- however: I don't see a reason for specific validation that only
kicks in when doing the save-binding (i.e. typically at the end
of the use case) since that would defy the whole idea of having a
woody-form-model that can validate *early* some user-input?

having said that I still think the validators are tied to
datatypes, only some of those datatypes are to be retrieved or
introspected from the business domain directly (and can be
expressed as such, including business specific validation)

or am I missing something?
(maybe all of this is introduced by 'binding' being a bad name
for what it currently is: it really just is run-time
data-mapping, not design-time typing)

-marc=