cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <>
Subject Re: Preparing for 2.2
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:59:05 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

<snip about="2.1.1 versus 2.2" />

>> We decided to create a new repository for each major version, so this
>> would require to create a cocoon-2.2 repository.
> Another thing to keep in mind is that if everybody starts developing 2.2
> and nobody works on 2.1+, then it makes sense to copy all of the blocks
> to 2.2 as well, and 2.1 will become "historical".

while this makes sense I thought Carsten was trying to solve
another issue with his 'keep blocks in 2.1' idea

2.2 should introduce the so called 'real blocks' and as such will
require a different setup/build/... which is most likely to be
reflected in a split repository for the blocks...  So I guess in
a 2.2 focus on real blocks one would never want to have the
source of the blocks inside the same repo, right?

combining both your ideas we could go for a cocoon-blocks
repository as soon as the cocoon-2.2 starts?

(by doing a per-block-sub-dir checkout of cocoon-blocks this
would autmatically allow for single-block-checkout so putting all
blocks in one repo seems no blocking thing on short notice)

>> By this we have a simple way of starting development of the "real blocks"
>> and all the other nice changes we have in mind.
>> We have then time to think about how to handle blocks regarding cvs.
>> I could imagine to create own repositories for some "bigger" blocks etc.
>> But it's best to take small and simple steps for now.
> And the first small step would be to create a plan for the future
> development. Some of the development - as those enhancements to request
> parsing - can easily go into 2.1.1.
> Vadim

Marc Portier
Read my weblog at