cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Discussion of Cocoon TLP Guidelines
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:05:39 GMT
Dear all,

I've just checked in a verbatim copy of the Jakarta Guidelines (located
at http://jakarta.apache.org/site/proposal.html) in the cocoon-site
module, that could serve as a starter to base our own project guidelines
upon. Before we became a TLP (top level project), we were supposed to
follow the XML TLP guidelines (which are currently under debate, a
decent RC can be found at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-admin/charter.txt?rev=1.14&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup),

but after reading both, I believe the Jakarta guidelines might be a good
foundation to start working from. The guidelines are supposed to
regulate the day-to-day operations of the Cocoon TLP, which of course
includes any existing and possible new subprojects.

So in an attempt to start the debate about the Cocoon TLP guidelines, I
copy/paste/search/replaced through the Jakarta set of guidelines, and
provide this as a starter for further discussions.

Our DRAFT version is located at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/guidelines.xml?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Some topics which, IMHO, need further debate are:

  - PMC composition and rules for admitting new PMC members (currently,
any committer can self.propose() to become a member of the PMC, and any
committer is allowed on the PMC list - but we need to discuss, maybe
change and at the very least formalize this)
  - rules and guidelines for incubating projects, w.r.t. PMC
participation, cohabitation with Incubator guidelines
  - basically do a sanity check of the lenghty Jakarta original and see
what might be eradicated from it (less is more)
  - check voting guidelines

I would suggest to start the discussion over here
(dev@cocoon.apache.org), we can move to the Wiki if discussing the
document becomes too difficult, and in any case I'd like to use the
formal CVS logs as a change tracking mechanism ASAP - hence putting a
draft in CVS rather than in the Wiki. I will come up with some patches
myself, but not directly in CVS, I'd like to run them through the list.

Please take your time reading through it, it ain't as bad as it looks
like, and it concerns you: developers & contributors of the Cocoon
project(s). And let's try and keep this as lightweight as feasible.

If it comes to (a) vote(s), anybody's opinion is appreciated, so please
speak up. Binding votes about the Cocoon guidelines can be cast by
Cocoon committers only - the original members of the 'founding' PMC that
is. If that would need to be changed, it's the time to implement that,
as well.

Thanks for your attention,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org