cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Webdavapps with Cocoon
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:02:45 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>> Way cool, Guido !
>>
>> But the bad thing about WebDAV on Windoze (aka "webfolders") is that
>> it's not a real filesystem : you cannot open the file directly from
>> there, but only copy/paste it on a "real" filesystem. Or did I missed
>> something ?
>

> no, you are right, webforlders suuuuuuuuuuuuck! and they are as buggy as
> hell, expecially if you do webdav over https with digital certificates.
> forget it, you have to use a commercial application (don't remember its
> name).

Could it be Xythos WebFile Client?

>> Quick update about the CVSSource : I did a major rewrite for one of
>> our projects (Gianugo : it's a CMS using dynamically-generated sxw
>> files to edit content!), and it's now an Excalibur Source and supports
>> crawling the version history (only on the main branch), tagging, cache
>> validity, etc. I committed this new version this morning on
>> cocoondev.org.

OK, you made me drool. I'm updating it right away. :-) Since during this
weekend I rewrote the repository part of Linotype for that, I want to
see if it works on CVS too. And the next step is trying Guido's davmap
example... it would be *extremely* cool!

> sure, but will be up to you do decide how to write your webdavapp.
> that's the point: cocoon should provide you the low level components and
> you compose them as you like.

And please, think about not necessarily using flow. :-)

> But just as the aggregator is just a special generator, I was thinking
> of introducing the concept of an extractor which is just a generator but
> that expects serious payloads that contain inforamation that might be
> needed by the sitemap/flow to process the request (NOTE: both the
> sitemap and flow DO NOT have access to the pipeline content directly,
> and this should *NOT* change! this is the reason why we should introduce
> this 'extraction' concept)

I'm starting to see some light. Care to come up with an example?

>> In other words, streamed requests aren't so much different from
>> regular requests : it's just that incoming data is more complex and
>> that decoding is not handled transparently by the servlet engine. Once
>> decoded, the processing model can be the same as usual.
>

> Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm, you are triggering second order thinking....
> hmmmm... I need a whiteboard... I'll be back soon.

Can't wait. :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino