cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: processing flow for <map:call resource=""/>
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:54:31 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> (Moving this discussion to dev list because it implies an more or less
> important change - wanted or not.)
>
> The problem: Does the processing return to a calling pipeline after
> <map:call resource=""/>?
>
> The docu at
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html#Calling+resources
> and http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Resources says no (to
> whatever reasons). But I saw Marc's example at
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CleanerSiteMapsThroughResources
> and he tested it again and it worked, i.e. the processing flow *does*
> return to the calling pipeline.
>
> Is this change implied? What were the pros and contras of this
> behaviour? I only know the old behaviour and, yes, the return makes
> the sitemap pipeline snippets more flexible. And who updates the docu ;-)
>
> Can anybody say something about it?

Yes : the culprit is me ;-)

The compiled sitemap engine enforced the "doesn't return" feature. When
writing the interpreted engine (the only one available in 2.1), I
introduced a "bug" which was causing resources to return if the
processing wasn't terminated. As resources were meant to close the
pipeline, this made no difference... until the day where someone forgot
to close it and discovered we could return from resources.

So we can consider resources as "gosub" and no more "goto" as stated in
the doc. Moreover, since resources can be passed parameters, they are
actually functions ! I can't remember if a formal vote occured on this,
but people globally found this feature usefull.

Time to update the docs...

Sylvain