cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <>
Subject Re: [RT] Updating our marketing strategy
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:00:55 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I'm on the plane back to Italy. My iTunes plays Celia Cruz's "el
> carnival de la vida" in honor of her recent death. And I'm thinking that
> the time has arrived for this RT to land.
> In really short term: Cocoon is mismarketed.
> I think many realize this.

> Cocoon is glue and duct tape for your web needs.

In general great - but I have a little fear about the perception that
"duct tape" could have.  Did you mean that as a literal quote?  What
about saying that we can either be the foundation, the glue, or the duct
tape depending on your needs?

> I propose to choose the humble one.
> At that point, we would be *inside* and cocoon will do the marketing
> itself by perpetuating its viral memes to the technical guys who will
> get more and more used to it and will start using it for more and more
> stuff.
> At that point, we won't even have to go around saying "we are better
> than struts"... we just say we are different. people will choose what
> they like the best and what fits their needs the most.
> What do you think?

Absolutely +1000.

Related to positioning ourselves as glue/duct tape:
Speaking of J2EE, I think we are really missing the boat by not offering
really dead-simple integration with EJB (even though so many here are
waiting for its carcass).  The fact is that EJB for now is the reigning
king and needs a good front end.  I know Cocoon works well with EJB but
it isn't dead simple for a newbie to see how.

Unfortunately, I am not currently using them and didn't even have a
container installed at home until recently.  Anyone want to work on some
examples/code with me?

View raw message