cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Comparing Woody & XMLForm : towards a unified form handling (long)
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:16:54 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Bruno Dumon dijo:
>
>>[an obvious improvement would be to make the binding also part of the
>>javascript-form-wrapper, so that you don't have to load the binding
>>yourself and can use form.load(object) and form.save(object)]
>

> This would be better if we can also attach a Bean here! I would allow to
> "speak" to a Database using OJB. A scratchpad of how it would be:
>
> We have a Bean filled from a database using OJB.
>
> Then we can use:
>
> function form2(form, myBean, bindingURI) {
>   var document = loadBean(myBean);
>   var binding = loadBinding(bindingURI);
>
>   binding.loadFormFromModel(form.form, document);
>   form.show("form2-display-pipeline");
>   binding.saveFormToModel(form.form, document);
>   fillBean(document, myBean);
>   /* We catch the Bean --> use OJB to store to DB */
>   cocoon.sendPage("form2-success-pipeline");
>   form.finish();
> }
>

> loadBean(myBean);  /* Load the Bean to a document */
> fillBean(myBean);  /* Fill the Bean from the form retrieved values */
>
> This is just an initial idea. Currently I am trying to understand the OJB.
> I have already a simple demo using OJB-JDO. My next step is try to build a
> simple interface to interact with Woody.
>

> I am very glad with the steps Woody is currently doing! I hope soon we
> will have the "glue" between OJB-Woody.

it is there, it is called jxpath

since the current binding implementation is using jxpath to
evaluate the xpath expressions this should already be working (at
least partially)

what needs to be done to complete the story:
0/ find time to do this:
1/ setup a sample & test-environment for bean-binding
2/ and add a javabean-specific <wb:insert-node> variant that
takes a Factory class/method instead of an XML template (only for
repeater-binding)

regards,
-marc=