cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: OJB and Cocoon
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:26:05 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I already do contact with the Apache OJB community. My idea is to use OJB
> instead of Hibernate.
>
> Here is the last mail from the communication with the project leader of
> OJB community.
>
> Comments are welcome. :)

Being one of the foremost proponents of Hibernate, I'd like to add my
0.02 €.

I chose to go with Hibernate for our in-house projects some time ago and
I'm very happy with it, licensing issues notwithstanding (we aren't
distributing any of our code, so we haven't any problem with the (L)GPL,
at the moment). In performing our evaluation, one of the most important
factors was the perception that there was an active community around
Hibernate. This did not appear to be the case with OJB, at least from
the website. I'm happy to hear that OJB is progressing along nicely
instead. Competition can be a good thing (even though maybe
"coopetition" would be better).

As far as Cocoon is concerned, there is really no reason why we should
"choose" a persistence framework over another one. Properly layered web
applications should not mix concerns too much between layers. This is
why I refrain from accessing any persistence-related code from the view
layer. I'm not going so far as to create an encapsulation of the
persistence mechanism that would allow me to change it without changing
the client code, since I think it would be overkill (KISS!), but
referring to Hibernate/OJB/whatever APIs from the flow only, directly or
indireclty, is OK in my book.

In other words, I personally see no benefit in developing a generic
framework for tieing views to persistence as a Cocoon block or other
kind of component. Let the application developers choose their
persistence mechanism (straight JDBC, O/R mapping, EJB, ...) according
to the specific application needs and give them the tools (flow) to
control the interaction between the Model and the View.

	Just IMHO,

		Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://www.beblogging.com/blog/