cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: One XML file for build.xml?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:53:28 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some months ago the build.xml was split into different files.
> Although this should create more maintainability and overview,
> it's actually imho worse. You have to open different files
> at the same time, as for example properties are declared in
> the init.xml and you want to edit a different one. The files
> are not valid xml files and finally you can't use all these
> great ant build file editors (e.g. the one integrated in eclipse).

IMO, properties should be declared in a properties file unless you
are using that XMLProperties ANT task.

As to including functionality and calling ANT tasks in other
XML documents--do not use element includes.  ANT has an <import>
statement and an <ant call/> setup that can work with targets
declared in another ant build file.

The end result is that you can keep modularity without breaking
all the wonderful build file editors.

> So, I really would like to have one single build.xml again.
> I think we get the same visibility, but have the advantages mentioned
> above.
>
> If noone is against this, I will merge them again.

What about properly doing it as stated above?

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin