cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Controller/Sitemap integration
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:31:35 GMT

Geoff Howard wrote:
> Stephan Michels wrote:

>> We don't call states in this sense. We continue
>> a continuation ;-)
>> I guess <map:continue continuation="{1}"/> is bad.
>>
>> <map:continue src="{1}"/>
>> or
>> <map:continue id="{1}"/>

>>>      - rename "WebContinuation" to "FlowState", and accordingly
>>>        "WebContinuationManager" to "FlowStateManager".
>>

>> Yes, the Continuation represents a state, but to make a clear
>> difference as a new concept, I think 'Continuation' is accurate.
>> But 'Web..'?!
>>
>> - rename "WebContinuation" to "Continuation", and accordingly
>>          "WebContinuationManager" to "ContinuationManager".
>

> I guess I'm a little confused at the general agreement on this naming
> using "continuation".  I thought I was hearing in Sylvain's original RT
> that continuations may not be the only implementation.  I don't have a
> problem with any of the new names suggested which is why I'm not really
> adding anything to the discussion at this point, but I don't want to
> have the discussion miss this point.
>
> Could someone who resonates with the vision for these other potential
> (non javascript-with-continuations) implementations of flow comment on
> this quickly?  If it satisfies you, I have no personal objection.

My shy attempt:

Confusing comes from what we understand under 'Continuation'

1/ Sylvain's meaning when he states other impl should be possible:
The word continuation has been associated to this notion of
having frozen execution stacks that can be picked up again.

I guess this understanding goes back to how Christian Queinnec
started using the word in his paper (haven't read it and the link
from
http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/archives/000179.html
is dead)

2/  Stephan's meaning when he states: "it is that what we continue"

he's backed up by http://m-w.com
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : the act or fact of continuing in or the prolongation of a
state or activity
2 : resumption after an interruption
3 : something that continues , increases, or adds

IMHO:
I think the verb 'continue' catches a broader consensus:
interactions or use cases are indeed just started(initiated) or
continued, and this also captures the relation the sitemap has to
this.
The noun 'continuation' has gotten a ring of being tied to a
interpreted-language implementation.

The inflected confusion from the history of the 'noun' adds up to
some case against using it IMHO.

-marc=