cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Woody or JXForms? + hibernate or * ?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:54:26 GMT

Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> JXForms is very close to the XForms standard by the W3C. The problem
> with this standard is that is was written for clients and not for
> servers.

I share this view...

> On the other hand Woody is IMO a server-side form framework
> with the possiblity to reuse parts. The key is that Woody uses
> widgets and widgets needn't be fields. So you could write a calendar
> widget and reuse it everywhere.

that is the idea, but some way to go yet

> Currently Woody is missing a connection to your data models. Marc
> already
> wrote RT on this topic but I have to admit that I haven't had the
> time to answer on them and IMO Woody needs the *possiblity* (not a must)

yep, that is my believe to

woody is already used by (some courageous) people that just
programmatically interact with the widgets (set/getValue on them)
directly, this is a use case that should be sustained at all
times IMHO

the idea I had, and wanted to discuss about is making sure that
we can off-load (and make declarative) this programmatic
interaction to what I dubbed a 'Binding Manager'

what it boils down to is (like the form-manager in woody) a
factory for 'Binding' objects... these objects:
- are instantiated by the factory based on a declarative XML file
- have two public methods loadFormFromModel(form, model) and
saveFormToModel(form, model)

given the limited interaction in the list about this I have just
been playing some more with the idea and have a JXPath based
implementation on my HD: I'm cleaning it up as we speak to be in
a postable format on bugzilla... (which will include a sample for
editing an XML file, given the JXPath implementation though it
should be fairly easy to use it for hibernate produced javabeans
as well)

I promised this before, but it looks like I should be able to get
it out today (sorry for the implied suspense :-))
(in fact: bruno just looks to this over my shoulder and starts
laughing: "Marc is making guestimates again"   DUH!)

> to plug-in a global data dictionary (greetings from SAP ;-)

don't know SAP, however your remark makes me think about all sort
of things (not uncommon for me)

however in this case I'ld rather have you explain more closely
what you envision...

> As you can see the frameworks are different and designed with different
> goals. I'm not sure how those can be combined but I'm expecting Sylvains
> RTs (http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000060.html)

me too, it is not the first time Sylvain mentioned this

wishing him the rest of mind the Alps could give him to pull this
off :-)

> on it.
>
> Cheers,
> Reinhard