cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hochsteger <e9625...@student.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject Re: [RT] The perfect repository might be just under your eyes
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:50:19 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I admit that I thought that POSIX was so carved in stone that I never
> even considered extending it to provide the functionality that was

Hehe, this can happen if you are too prejudiced to something, but at
least you realized that it is not so ;-)

I also read about ReiserFS (must be one or two years ago) and use it
since that time on my Linux box with good experiences.
This is also the case for LVM (http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm)
which newer Linux distributions include, but I think this is offtopic here.

> Imagine all the stuff that you can do with this! and the file system can
> be journalled, offer node-level transactional capabilities, you name it!
> at right into the OS. fast fast fast!

... and it offers great flexibility and extensibility.
ReiserFS offers the possibility to store any metadata you need for a node.

> What? it's not remote, you say? get over it: scp and duct tape can make
> it as remote as anything.
>
> Forget WebDAV, forget JSR170, your perfect repository might be, thanks

I wouldn't be so harsh to say, that you can forget about WebDAV and
JSR170, but in some cases this may be completely true!

> to the pseudo-file concept, just a new linux module away.

Perhaps you don't even need a module, since at least SuSE Linux already
uses ReiserFS as the standard FS for a long time.

> --
> Stefano.

Bye,
	Andreas Hochsteger