cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Less is More, Finite State Machines and Balkanization
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:00:26 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 13/07/2003 19.56:
>
>> I like this thread. It might seem a little 'accademic' to talk about
>> all these things so openly and, for sure, many of these things tend
>> to  be rather subjective, thus harder to find rational consensus on.
>>
>> The result of this thread may not be an objective guideline, but I'm
>> glad we are presenting different views and design strategies on the
>> table because, at least, we know what other people feel about these
>> things and we can forecast future friction and, hopefully, prevent it.
>

> <snip/>
>
> I agree. Here are my 2c based on what I have seen and lived in Avalon.
>
> 1 - Keep only one implementation. Have all work on that. This means
> that since we decided to use the flow based on javascript, we should
> pursue that. This helps in keeping the project focused and prevents
> endless discussions about things that have *already* been decided.
>
> 2 - Do not prevent others from building alternatives. This is why I
> like the sandbox: it keeps mutations happening, and also keeps them
> away from the main code.
>
> 3 - Routinely evaluate mutations and decide if it's worthwhile to keep
> them by integrating in the main branch or deleting them. This is what
> till now we have failed to do, but is important for (2).
>
> 4 - There is no need to block others from building alternative
> implementations, so "pluggable" engines can be used. Look at the
> current Processor pluggability... who has used it? I reckon that it
> will simply help us down the road to change it if necessary. The
> important thing is that these possibly different implementations
> should not reside in the Cocoon CVS (except in the sandbox, with
> routine checks as per point 3).
>
> Avalon has gone down this path. We have decided that we will keep as
> the Avalon container only one implementation. This does not prevent
> others from building Avalon-based containers. Also all the
> experimantal code is in the sandbox, and is being evaluated very
> frequently for inclusion in the main code.
>
> So, in the end, if someone wants to make a FSM engine of the Cocoon
> flow, I'm ok with it. We can also make it pluggable, so others can
> make them if they have good time to use.
>
> Just not here, as we have decided for the javascript flow, and we must
> pursue a single direction. Endlessly discussing about changing
> something that is not finished only creates unnecessary deviations.
>
> Therefore, I encourage whoever has different implementations and
> really believes in them not to desist and keep on using them, but with
> the knowledge that it's a different implementation and that it will
> not reside here for quite some time, if ever.

I fully agree with all that you said, and Avalon's experience can be
very valuable, as that's from problems and crisis that we really learn
how to proceed.

Now, I repeat it once again, I don't want to change the JS flow. I just
want other experiments and implementations to be possible. These
experiments and implementations need not be in Cocoon's CVS (or else, be
in the scratchpad). I just proposed to rename a few classes so that
these experiments could be possible without "distorting" the meaning of
existing flow-related classes.

Sylvain