cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Less is More, Finite State Machines and Balkanization
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:36:08 GMT

Stephan Michels wrote, On 14/07/2003 12.32:
> All JavaScript Code can be transform into Assembler, or Basic. That's
> not the point. A programming language should make the implementation
> of a solution for a given problem as easy as possible.

We have already discussed what language to use in the past, and
Javascript won. That was months ago, and I don't remember that in the
meantime there have been changes to the underlying assumptions.

Personally, as I said, I welcome the creation of support for other
languages for the FOM, but we should not do it here in cocoon, at least
not now.

I had already asked, for example, if BSF (bean scripting franework, now
in Jakarta), could be used as a layer to the scripting part, and this
could make it trivial to add different languages, while maintaining the
*same* FOM underneath.

Alas, it's not possible until BSF itself gets support for continuations,
*and* all the scripting languages we want to use have their continuation
implementation underneath. If you look in the archives you will find a
very informative mail about this from Chris (IIRC).

But we are talking about similar procedutral languages, here, not about
using a different paradigm for the flow; FSMs are a a totally different
way of approaching the problem IMHO.

What I would like to see? BSF support for continuations, and the use of
this BSF from Cocoon. If someone has some time to spare...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -