cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject External Blocks (was Re: Flow Database stuff ( The new FOM? ))
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:48:12 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Hugo Burm wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>> - Hibernate is LGPL.
>> This is a pain in the ass. I cannot provide a ready-to-use Hibernate
>> cocoon
>> block because of LGPL versus Apache license issues.
>
> You can, it can be hosted under cocoondev.org like Fins and CVSSource,
> that booth are based on LGPL libraries. A Hibernate block under
> cocoondev where discussed in the thread
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105074471400001&r=1&w=2, but I don't
> know if anything happened.
>
>                            -- o --
>
> A somewhat OT discussion about "external" blocks:
>
> It is possible to host Cocoon blocks (I talk about the current compile
> time installable blocks, not the forthcomming "real" blocks) outside the
>  the Cocoon CVS. I submitted some patches to the Fins community for
> packaging Fins as a block.
>
> An externally hosted block consists of the block itself together with
> some xml fragments for configuration. The installation instructions are
> as follows:
> * download the latest cocoon-2.1
> * copy (or put a link to) your block to cocoon-2.1/src/blocks
> * patch cocoon-2.1/gump.xml and cocoon-2.1/lib/jars.xml with the
> configuration snippets
> * ./build.sh
> not that complicated. It would be even simpler to install an external
> block if the gump.xml and jars.xml patching was made with the xmap
> mechanism, in that case it would be enough to copy the block to the
> blocks directory and recompile. The main drawback with this would be
> that the gump descriptor would have to be generated before it could be
> used.

Couldn't you compile the code elsewhere, drop the jar in WEB-INF, and
edit the .xconf, and .xmap files you need using the xpatch task?  You
would not be able to add new things to .roles, but can't we already get
around that? (with component-instance in cocoon.xconf)  If that works,
I could help work up a target to do this stuff - it'd be pretty trivial.

Geoff