cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flow Database stuff ( The new FOM? )
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:48:32 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>
>> As I'm curious I have a technical question:
>> What's the difference if I read the necessary data in the flow or some
>> milliseconds latter in the view layer? What do I gain?
>

> You gain a cleaner separation of concerns. I simply don't like accessing
> my persistence layer from the view. The view is passed a model that
> consisits of Javascript objects, Java beans or DOMs and it should not
> care where it comes from.
>
>     Just IMHO,

There is no "right" answer on this.  Some folks don't mind the overhead of
populating and passing objects around while others prefer a more direct
approach.  The latter is most common in the prototyping stage where you are
telling management about new things you can do.

That said, I prefer both the view and the flow to merely use objects and
not control persistence directly.  This allows me the freedom to define a
typed "object repository" that encapsulates persistence and caching concerns.
But I have worked on projects where it was easier for a quick and dirty
approach.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin