cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: DirectoryGenerator source-oriented refactoring
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:07:13 GMT
On 10 Jul 2003 at 11:30, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
> > Gianugo,
> >

> >>I just added to scratchpad a refactored implementation of
> >>DirectoryGenerator (TraversableGenerator) that doesn't work with
> >>just files but with any TraversableSource. Together with it, a
> >>refactoring was done on XPathDirectory, which is now
> >>XPathTraversable, so that even XPath queries can be done on any
> >>TraversableSource (while we were at it, we added namespace support,
> >>missing on the previous implementation).
> >

> > I'm impressed. Well worth doing. I would certainly think that
> > replacing the DirectoryGenerator and XPathDirectory generator makes
> > sense. The only issue being one of how to maintain compatability.
>
> 1. The easy and unclean way: keep the old namespace and the
> directory/file metaphore (and maybe the class name too), just change
> the implementation to use TraversableSources instead than File;

Don't like.

> 2. The clean way: provide a clear documentation on what's changed and
> (maybe) add a stylesheet converting the "new" output to the "old" one.

I prefer that. The stylesheet sounds good.

> What's best is hard to tell. :-) Moreover, I'm definitely not sure
> that this should go into the next release, even if I consider it a
> major leap forward for collection browsing.

I think this sort of thing is worth doing, even if it is painful, because it makes our tools

much more generic.

I also think it might be worth leaving it in the scratchpad until after this release.

Also, could you tell us some of the TraversibleSources that you are using it with?

Regards, Upayavira