cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DirectoryGenerator source-oriented refactoring
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:19:26 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>> I just added to scratchpad a refactored implementation of
>> DirectoryGenerator (TraversableGenerator) that doesn't work with just
>> files but with any TraversableSource. Together with it, a refactoring
>> was done on XPathDirectory, which is now XPathTraversable, so that
>> even XPath queries can be done on any TraversableSource (while we were
>> at it, we added namespace support, missing on the previous
>> implementation).
>
> Damn, competing implementations : I've had this same thing on my HD for
> several weeks now as part of the new version of the CVSSource. Shame on
> me, I should have committed this for a long time. "release early,
> release often".

Oh well... silly me for not asking. :-)

> My version is cacheable, but doesn't support XPath. I'll look at yours
> to see how to merge them.

Ours is cacheable too, actually it was very little more than
s/File/Source on the cacheable DirectoryGenerator, so a more clever
implementation would be most welcome. :-) Also, the XPath stuff is on an
different class (XPathTraversableGenerator), which extends
TraversableGenerator, so some care should be taken in merging the two.

>> Also, since we're not talking about directory and files anymore, I
>> used the more generic terms of collection and resource, changing the
>> namespace too to "http://apache.org/cocoon/collection/1.0". I don't
>> remember if a vote was required for new namespace additions, but I'd
>> like to hear at least your opinion on that. :-)
>
> I think we should keep the current namespace, which describes a
> hierarchy, and is not really tied to the fact that is a real filesystem
> or something else. But we should keep the current DirectoryGenerator
> (eventually deprecated) since users may have extended it (we did it for
> an application to add extra attributes and filtering rules).

Makes sense.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino