cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: DirectoryGenerator source-oriented refactoring
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:16:26 GMT
Gianugo,

> I just added to scratchpad a refactored implementation of
> DirectoryGenerator (TraversableGenerator) that doesn't work with just
> files but with any TraversableSource. Together with it, a refactoring
> was done on XPathDirectory, which is now XPathTraversable, so that
> even XPath queries can be done on any TraversableSource (while we were
> at it, we added namespace support, missing on the previous
> implementation).

I'm impressed. Well worth doing. I would certainly think that replacing the
DirectoryGenerator and XPathDirectory generator makes sense. The only issue being
one of how to maintain compatability.

> Would you guys think that this implementation might supersede the
> current DirectoryGenerator stuff, maybe by providing a migration path?
> If so, I'd gladly produce some docs, confs and samples once it's
> proven stable.

> Also, since we're not talking about directory and files anymore, I
> used the more generic terms of collection and resource, changing the
> namespace too to "http://apache.org/cocoon/collection/1.0". I don't
> remember if a vote was required for new namespace additions, but I'd
> like to hear at least your opinion on that. :-)

Yup, namespace changes do require a vote. To my mind, the only thing needing
discussing is how to manage the transition from one component to the other,
minimising disruption for users.

Regards, Upayavira