cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DirectoryGenerator source-oriented refactoring
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:30:01 GMT
Upayavira wrote:
> Gianugo,
>

>>I just added to scratchpad a refactored implementation of
>>DirectoryGenerator (TraversableGenerator) that doesn't work with just
>>files but with any TraversableSource. Together with it, a refactoring
>>was done on XPathDirectory, which is now XPathTraversable, so that
>>even XPath queries can be done on any TraversableSource (while we were
>>at it, we added namespace support, missing on the previous
>>implementation).
>

> I'm impressed. Well worth doing. I would certainly think that replacing the
> DirectoryGenerator and XPathDirectory generator makes sense. The only issue being
> one of how to maintain compatability.

1. The easy and unclean way: keep the old namespace and the
directory/file metaphore (and maybe the class name too), just change the
implementation to use TraversableSources instead than File;

2. The clean way: provide a clear documentation on what's changed and
(maybe) add a stylesheet converting the "new" output to the "old" one.

What's best is hard to tell. :-) Moreover, I'm definitely not sure that
this should go into the next release, even if I consider it a major leap
forward for collection browsing.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino