cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Alternatives to XMLForm: what's the state of art?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:51:36 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

>From: Christopher Oliver
>

>>JXForms supports the latest W3C XForms syntax (although not every
>>construct). JXForms doesn't use XMLFormTransformer. Instead
>>it provides
>>its own generator (JXFormsGenerator) and transformer
>>(JXFormsTransformer). It uses the same Form object and validation
>>framework as XMLForm. However, it does not provide any actions.
>>

>Chris, can we deprecate the XMLFormTransformer in favour of the
>JXFormsTransformer?

Yes. I think so.

>Does it provide any features that JXFormsTransformer
>does not support?

The XMLFormTransformer doesn't. But XMLForm does provide an action
framework that JXForms does not. JXForms is intended to be used with
Flowscript. In addition, Ivelin added some features to the xmlform.org
version of XMLForm that JXForms doesn't have. If anyone wants these
features it should be easy enough to add to JXForms, though.

>If the answer on the first question is yes, should we release it at all?
>What would this mean for our users?

JXForms is not backward compatible with XMLForm. But neither is Ivelin's
latest version of XMLForm. Still, I don't know what the reaction of
users would be.

With regard to a "release", the main thing missing from both XMLForm and
JXForms, in my opinion, is documentation.

Chris