cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Cocoon and Component Manager (was RE: protected vs private instance members (in Woody))
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:42:17 GMT
On 8 Jul 2003 at 12:29, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Has someone followed the changes to Cocoon.java regarding the
> component manager. It started as private was changed to protected and
> then changed to public by someone who needed it (also it was never
> meant to be public!). But as it's open source with so many developers,
> someone changes it and in most cases this goes unnoticed. Then someday
> someone noticed that and changed it back to protected. Later on it was
> changed to public again and this went on for a while! Now, finally we
> have a public getComponentManager method, although this was never
> meant to be publically available.

That was me! When I converted the CocoonBean to use ModifiableSources, I needed
to get hold of a SourceResolver. As the bean isn't an Avalon component, it didn't
have one itself. The only place I could think of to get it was the Cocoon instance itself.

I'm quite happy to do this another way - all I need is to get hold of a SourceResolver
from outside an Avalon component. My Avalon knowledge is weak, so I am unaware
of another way.

Regards, Upayavira