cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Build error in Velocity....
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 22:16:04 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Christopher Oliver wrote:
>

>>This is because the scratchpad build doesn't depend on the block build.
>>There were duplicate jars that Carsten removed. Either we need to put
>>them back or we need to figure out how to make scratchpad depend
>>on blocks.
>>

>Yes, I haven't noticed that the scratchpad used this lib (eclipse compiles
>anyway). Sorry.
>
>But duplicated jars are not only waste of disk spaces and band width but
>also they can become a night mare. Thing about having two different versions
>in scratchpad and the velocity block. Which version will be used later on
>in your webapp?

True, but this is only scratchpad code. The problem is that there is no
easy way to experiment with extending or modifying blocks in the
scratchpad, because blocks are available to the scratchpad build.

>So, I see three cleaner solutions (with no preference)
>a) Move the stuff from the scratchpad to the velocity block

This will happen eventually. I've replaced the velocity jar you removed
until then.

>b) Move the velocity jar to lib/optional so it's jused by scratchpad and
>blocks

Adding a jar that isn't used by the core to the core is not cleaner IMO.

>c) Add mock classes to the scratchpad, so the lib is not needed for
>compilation

Too much work for scratchpad code.