cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [Flow] Calling internal-only pipelines
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:38:09 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Done. You can now have flow views in internal-only pipelines !
>

> Excellent!

Thanks !

After more thinking about this new Request.isInternal(), I found that
this notion of "internal request" isn't precise enough to be of real
use, and worse, may lead to dangerous confusion if used to filter
headers as I suggested earlier. Here are some examples of statements
that produce internal requests :
1 - <map:forward-to uri="cocoon:/blah"/>
2 - cocoon.sendPageAnddWait("blah");
3 - <map:generate src="cocoon:/blah"/>
4 - <map:part src="cocoon:/blah"/> (in a <map:aggregate>)
5 - <map:transform src="cocoon:/blah"/>

What we see here is that :
- 1, 2 are "internal", but actually provide the content returned to the
browser.
- 3 and 4 can be discussed : is it a chained pipeline (meaning we could
accept headers from "blah"), or just a dynamic resource ?
- 5 is clearly not targeted to the browser.

So, to avoid this confusion, I removed the newly added
Request.isInternal() and added Environment.isExternal(). An external
environment is the one whose creation is triggered by the external
request (http, commandline, etc). Putting this method on Environment
hides it from "regular" components and as such avoids the possible
confusion mentioned above.

But the result is still that flow views can be internal-only pipelines ;-)

Sylvain